GoPro Dash Cam. Is It Worth To Try?
Anyone remember the video of a meteor ripping through the sky of Russia that went viral in February 2013? Questions asked were: “where did it come from”, “what was that”, but have you ever wondered how that moment was captured? Ever since, the term “dash cam” has become popular with drivers, especially to show who’s right and who’s wrong in accidents or for parents who just buy their kids new cars and just want to make sure that they are doing fine out there on the streets. Dashboard cameras are also known as dash cams, dashcams, car cameras, car DVRs, or even accident recorders.
You can get yourself a dedicated dash cam for under 200 with an average quality. You can just stick it to your car because you can’t really use it for any other purposes, while the famous GoPro Hero 6 is extremely comfy with its small size, much better video quality (4K30, Ultra HD). The most important thing is it can be used anywhere, in any situation.
Turn your GoPro as dash cam? Am I crazy?
Do you know GoPro has one of the most important feature using for dash cam? LOOPED RECORDING. It keeps record a new video and replace the old ones when the memory card is out of spaces
Gopro for Cars
Of course, not being a dedicated dash cam means GoPro Hero 4 needs a bit of modification, here’s what you need to turn your GoPro Hero 6 into a high-quality dash cam:
– GoPro Hero 6 (of course)
Here are the things to say about GoPro Hero 6: comfy, high-quality video. Comparing with other dedicated dash cams, the camera has a much smaller size and the weight is a bit lighter, this means that GoPro camera will not take as much space as some other dedicated dash cams. The video quality of the GoPro Hero 6 Black is amazing, and it comes with fine-tuning tools. Of course, you don’t necessarily need a 4K video of your normal road trip, so you can choose GoPro Hero with a cheaper price and a lower video quality.
Where do you use the GoPro dash cam? In a car, right? Previously one would have had to purchase a skeleton back for the camera but with the release of the 2018 GoPro line that is no longer necessary.
- Hero6 black automatically sends your footage to your phone where the app turns it into a quikstory an awesome edited video
- With 4k60 and 1080p240 video,Hero6 black delivers 2x the performance compared to Hero5 black with an all new GP1 chip optimized for GoPro capture, Hero6 black delivers vastly improved image quality
- With our most advanced video stabilization yet, Hero6 black captures super smooth footage, whether it’s handheld or mounted to your gear Hero6 black is waterproof to 33ft (10m) without a housing
Best GoPro Dash Mount
GoPro suction cup dash mount
For best quality videos with fewer bumps and shaking images, I recommend using GoPro suction cup mounts, the best GoPro dash mount to be offered.
Start off with saying the GoPro suction cup mount is a must for GoPro camera owners. It’s light and has a slim profile, and of course, it is made for GoPro camera so there won’t be any problem fitting them. You can have unique video angles with a very good vibration control. On the other hand, since its hinges, each works only on one plane, so every time you need to modify the angle, you need to undo the process and reattach it. Another downside of this suction cup mount from GoPro is the plasticky and cheap feeling, with some metal parts, this thing will not last long in salt water.
- Attach your GoPro to cars, boats, motorcycles and more
- Industrial strength suction cup proven at speeds of 150+ mph
- Engineered to provide a broad range of motion and stability
GoPro battery charging kit
GoPro camera has a lot of ups, but battery life ain’t one of them. So to keep your camera rolling for more than 2 hours, with wifi and LCD screen on, you have to have yourself a battery charging kit, or else you will have to spend a lot of time twiddling your thumbs waiting for your battery to be fully charged. The HSU Batteries and Chargers for GoPro Hero 6, which includes 2 spare batteries, a 3 – slot cradle, a USB cable, an AC wall charger adapter and most importantly: a car charger adapter. The only downside of this pack is that it doesn’t have the worldwide AC adapter.
- Rechargeable Battery for GoPro Hero 5 Black, GoPro Hero 6 Black and Hero (2018)
- Compatible with latest GoPro firmware and future updates. Also working fine with v01.55, v01.57, v02.00, v02.51, v02.60, v02.01, v01.00 version
- 3pcs high capacity (1220mAh, 3.85V) Li-ion batteries with separate protective battery box, more power to support your photographic journey
Memory card for GoPro dash cam
GoPro camera doesn’t come with a memory card, so you need to get one of your own. There’s a list that GoPro recommends for all there GoPro Cameras, and when it comes to memory cards, you have to take a look at its transfer speed. Personally, the best memory card for GoPro is Lexar 633x Class 10 64gb micro SD. It has the reading speed up to 95MB/s, and the write speed is mentioned in the tiny printing says “write speed lower”, but not specifically how low, with a testing benchmark, the Lexar has the writing speed of 45MB/s.
- LEXAR AUTHORIZED DEALER With FULL Warranty
- LEXAR 64GB Professional 633x SDXC Class 10 UHS-I/U1 Memory Card 2-Pack Bundle
- FORM FACTOR: SDXC UHS-I Memory Card. STORAGE CAPACITY: 64 GB.
Buy the accessories now to get yourself a high-quality dash cam, with amazing footage of road trips or evidence of any auto accidents that might happen. Links below:
– Click here to buy GoPro Hero 6 on Amazon.
– Click here to buy GoPro suction cup mount on Amazon.
– Click here to buyHSU Batteries and Chargers for GoPro Hero on Amazon.
– Click here to buy Lexar 633x Class 10 64gb micro SD on Amazon.
– Click here to buy Skeleton Housing.
Some reasons that you don’t want to use GoPro as a dash cam:
- It’s expensive compared to other dash cams. Yes, it’s true
- If you don’t have a spare one just for a dash cam, every time you get in the car, you have to mount it to the cup, connect the cable and turn it on. It takes some time, doesn’t it?
- You usually park your car in a hot place. It definitely destroys your GoPro
—> Think twice before using it as a dash cam
In fact, there are many ways to use your GoPro. In this article, I show you how to turn your GoPro as a dash cam. You might already have your own dash cam in your car. But in my opinion, GoPro dash cam may be better as we already know how good the GoPro camera is. So why not we try them instead of using traditional dash cam. For me, it’s worth to try this GoPro dash cam :).