GOPRO SMART REMOTE – POWER GEAR FOR GOPRO CAMERAS
Have you ever thought about using a remote? Is the GoPro Smart Remote worth it?
There are many brands but the GoPro Smart Remote is the best seller one. Why? Please read till the end.
If you are in one of any following reasons:
- Take good selfies with your pole (If you are using any type of extension pole)
- Long-range control for your GoPro Camera
- Control multi GoPro cameras
- You need to take a picture when the GoPro is mounted
Then you definitely need a GoPro Smart Remote.
But first of all, we need some info about it and here is an features info from manufacture.
- Control your GoPro camera remotely from distances of up to 600 feet (180 meter) with this wearable, waterproof remote.
- Perfect for gear-mounted shots, you can power the camera on/off, adjust settings, start/stop recording and capture photos.
- When used with HERO4 and Session cameras, you can also access the Settings/Tag button to quickly change settings, or use HiLight Tag to mark key moments while recording for easy playback, editing and sharing.
- Smart Remote enables control of up to 50 cameras at a time and features 40% increased battery capacity compared to the Wi-Fi Remote.
- Mountable and waterproof to 33 feet (10 meter). Includes a key ring and wrist strap for wearing the remote or attaching it to your gear.
– HERO4 Black.
– HERO4 Silver.
– HERO Session.
– HERO3+ (Settings/Tag button not compatible).
– HERO3 (Settings/Tag button not compatible).
- Smart Remote
- Attachment Key + Ring
- Wrist Strap
- USB Charging Cable
But it’s really good as they promote for it. Let’s see some Users Reviews who bought it here
I always read comments with 1 star voted, you know why, because it will save your time to make a decision to buy or not.
With 10% voted 1 star look at what they said :
Rick Strahl said :
“Terrible charging Tech – avoid this remote if you can”
The new remote is a bit better than the older one for the Hero 3, but all the problems with the remote not charging consistently continue. I use this remote in the ocean, and when I try to charge the remote, it never, ever just charges. I have to clean the contacts. It will not charge if there’s slightest bit of corrosion, dust on the contacts. So I spent some time EVERY freaking time cleaning the contact trying to get it to charge. This is a pathetic system…
Troy Lundberg said:
“work great the first time now won’t even take a charge”
It worked great the first time! Then put it away for a few weeks. When I wanted to use it again and it did not work. So I tried to charge it and it wouldn’t take a charge. Then tried to return the product because it did not work and could not because it was a 30 day return! I’m stuck with a broken remote.
HB Mom said :
“Smart Remote…. not so smart.”
This is the second GoPro I have purchased and have not had any problems or complaints. The GoPro remote on the other hand has been a complete disappointment. I did not purchase the insurance which is probably why it stopped working. Just a couple of months old (actually got to use it twice) and it just stopped taking a charge and working. I gave it one start due to the fact the two occasions when I did use the remote it worked great and super handy. I can not recommend this product as it is pricey and I wouldn’t want someone to lose out on money on a product that failed miserably. Still a GoPro fan just will have to manually push the button I guess.
Again, is the GoPro Smart Remote worth it?
So what about another said, we don’t go to 5 stars comments because I thought nothing is perfect so I go to 4 stars comments, and here what I saw :
- Amegeirason said
“A MUST have if you have a GoPro Hero 4 + Pole”
Really useful, especially if you are using any type of extension pole (I recommend a pole with a remote dock). I was a little hesitant at first of buying it, considered saving the USD 79 and just using my phone to remotely take the pictures, thank god I got it, I was able to record video or take pictures quickly and without having to touch my cam.
– Remotely take pictures or record videos.
– Way easier and faster to use than connecting your camera to a phone using the app.
– It takes like 3 GoPro Hero 4 full batteries under heavy use to drain the remote battery.
– It happened a couple times that it disconnects from the camera, and reseting the connection is needed (it is not so complicated, but still).
– It takes like 5 to 10 seconds from when you turn on the controller for it to turn on the camera and be ready for action, wish this was a little faster. (still it is faster and easier than the app).
– Even though it is water proof, WiFi signal does not work underwater unless it is really close (almost touching it) to the camera
– I see some weird glare on the remote screen, don’t know if it is normal, but does not look good, I am going to contact GoPro support to ask.
– Wish the batteries were replaceable for the case that they start lasting less over time and usage.
CJ Hollingsworth said
“An almost necessary GoPro accessory”
GoPro Accessories by nature are expensive, and this is no exception. But for what you pay for it the build quality, reliability and functionality make it well worth it. I feel this could withstand a heck of a beating over the course of many years and keep on working. I took it out on its maiden voyage this past weekend (I am a paintball photographer who relies mainly on a GoPro) and had absolutely zero issues with it. Setup took reading the manual and following the directions. Within about 3 minutes I had this synched to my camera and working flawlessly.
So why only 4 stars? By all means, for what it is it deserves 5 stars and I really should give it 5 stars, but I cannot mainly due to wanting a couple of more features on the remote. This remote is really just a remote for the controls built into the GoPro itself, nothing less, nothing more. I really wish it had a ‘go to’ mode programmable button, that at a press of a button I could switch directly to the capture mode I prefer. While on the field, having to cycle statically through the different modes to get to the one I want (I switch between photo and video) means I often miss out on special shots.
Previously I used my smartphone to control the camera, which was awesome. It worked great until a recent update killed the streaming video from GoPro to phone. I wish this remote had that capability, to see what the camera see’s (my GoPro gets mounted on the end of an extendable painters pole so I am rarely in the direct line of fire).
Remote functionality is identical to that of the GoPro itself.
Remote functionality is identical to that of the GoPro itself.
Needs an additional programmable button.
Barry Frank said
“Works fine, but I completely fail to comprehend the rationale behind the non-standard charger cable.”
Response from GoPro about the cable — “the reason for the non standard power connection is a commercial decision to ensure the integrity of our remote. The exact reason is proprietary information that we are unable to release.”
It’s convenient, especially if you’re using your GoPro with a pole. This is much faster and easier than using the phone app, and it uses less of the battery, even though there is some drain even when the camera is off. Even though this is waterproof, don’t bother bringing it when you go snorkeling, because it can’t connect underwater. The signal isn’t strong enough.
As above comments, you could find it exactly as described. However, there are also somethings it cannot reach. What do you think? At that price, are you willing to pay that much to have all those benefits? Is the GoPro smart remote worth it?
So why it has 65% five star voted. Let’s see some other comments:
- Freer said
“A lot of negative reviews about this product especially regarding …”
A lot of negative reviews about this product especially regarding its inability to function with the camera underwater, however the manual is quite clear that it won’t work underwater but it is waterproof so you can wear it in the water. Our family went on a cruise and I wore the remote on my whirs for a zip line trip and a hike up Dunns River Falls in Jamaica, both the camera and the remote were submerged several times without any problems. Some reviewers mentioned difficulty charging the device, however I have not experienced any problems there either.
Honey & Tom said
“Great Remote for the GoPro- Must Have“
After about a 45 minute initial charge, I linked it to my go pro seamlessly. I was easily able to turn it on and off, without having to actually touch my GoPro, which was great. I was able to mount my GoPro on the front of the car, and I could remotely record video while driving, and the footage turned out amazing! The remote s waterproof so I can’t ait to use it while kayaking. I’m really happy I can now control my camera remotely and quickly. It also comes with a quick release key, so I can easily attach it to my coat, backpack or kayak, and have it ready to go at a moment notice. This also comes with a wrist strap, so you can wear the remote on your wrist like a watch. I’m happy with the purchase. 10/10
“A must have for a GoPro owner …”
This is a must have accessory for the GoPro. I recently purchased the Hero 4 Silver and tried out the app for a few weeks and hated it. Its lags, has trouble connecting and always shuts off after a few minutes. The remote is so great! Is connects quickly and easily. If you use a pole to take photos, it’s such a hassle to reach out adjust settings and take a photo while it’s on the pole. Using the remote is great and this one allows you to adjust settings from it as well! The price is high but it worth the cost cause it really does make taking photos so much easier.
Charles W Smith said
“Great tool. Much less convoluted.”
Truthfully, I didn’t think I’d get much use out of this. I was wrong. It really helps with getting impromptu selfie photos. While it drains the battery on the camera, it really allows me to get more shots without having to turn everything on and set it up. Great tool. It’s a shame it’s worthless underwater.
Update: I got a second one (for a second camera) for Father’s Day. Again, it works beautifully and makes the operation of getting the video or picture so much less convoluted. Just aim the camera and push the button on the remote. The ability to control multiple cameras at once has helped me when I use two GoPro cameras at the same time. They’re also a much better deal on Amazon than on the GoPro site.
Ok, we read all comment in Amazon so now I google “is the Gopro Smart Remote worth it ” and I have a result from Quora.com. And here it is
Nick Mancini, Senior Product Specialist @ GoPro
The GoPro App is better for:
- Previewing content
- Framing your shots
- Playing back /downloading content
- Adjusting camera settings (more intuitive UI)
The Smart Remote is better for:
- According to GoPro, you can control your camera from up to 600ft away. For the record, I have never gotten 600ft of range; I would say its closer to 200-300ft. With the GoPro App, you’ll get about 35-50ft.
- The Smart Remote is waterproof up to 10ft. Your phone.. not so much.
- Controlling multiple cameras. The Smart Remote will allow you to control up to 50 GoPros at once.
I almost always use the remote in conjunction with the GoPro App. Yes, you can use both at the same time. Why? Sometimes you’ll find yourself reviewing your footage via the GoPro App then suddenly realize something EPIC is going on right in front of you. I have found that the delay between switching screens in the app maybe enough to cause you to miss the entire shot. Regardless of what you’re doing in the app, you can always trigger a recording on the remote.
Also, you may not want to do deal with the hassle of pulling out your phone while riding. Great news! You can mount the remote to your handlebars. If the camera is mounted on your helmet, you can always manually press the shutter button to start/stop recording. But what happens when you’re not sure if the camera is recording?
Do you want to take off your helmet just to confirm the red light is still blinking? Having the remote mounted to your handle bars will alleviate these headaches.
Arvin Chang, Photographer, Snowboarder, Involuntary Self-Biographer
“Thanks for the A2A.
I would try the timer and Smartphone app first… since they are free and you can preview what the GoPro sees on the app. However, if you find the Smartphone app to slow/cumbersome to use… then a the smart remote might be more convenient. Here are some situations that I found the remote useful.
- If your hands are occupied (like riding your motorbike) or you are wearing gloves, the Smartphone app is a pain because you need to pull your phone out of your pocket and then do a bunch of taps to get it working. With the smart remote you can start/stop recording with a single tap at any time.
- If you are filming in a harsh environment (i.e. someplace wet, dirty or where you might drop your phone). The smart remote is much more durable/waterproof.
- If you are using multiple/remote cameras… the smart remote can trigger them much more quickly than the Smartphone app.
Hope this helps!”
A tons of information about the GoPro Smart Remote, but I think these are main reasons
- Smart Remote is small, easy to wear and it really useful for you to go out without using GoPro app on your smart phone. Especially, if you use glove as Arvin Chang mention above
- Smart Remote is waterproof : It useless when you diving because the wifi signal is lost but when you go swimming or you on the beach you can take a picture and go swimming and the smart phone isn’t.
- Smart Remote can control multi GoPro camera : if you have more than 1 GoPro camera you don’t need to buy another Smart Remote, just one that’s enough for all.
- Smart Remote can control your GoPro camera from up 600ft (180m) away : If you use Drone it’s really useful. GoPro App get about 35-50ft
- Smart Remote really useful for GoPro mounts : You don’t want to take of your helmet to manually press the shutter button to start/stop recording.